Funny that you mentioned using the Eagles style, because many years ago I was doing some deep experimentation with various features in connection with the Melodist, Soloist, and perhaps Style making wizard, and, while I cannot for the life of me recall what potpourri of parameters I tweaked and whatnot, I know for a fact that this jam with RTs was generated from MIDI, and particularly midi notes from the Hotel California solo.

FWIW, this may or may not have come from a BiaB melodist file that would have had the general chords for the song and the basics of the MIDI solo--in which case this will be much less relevant for your purposes. Furthermore, I may have used the melodist or style wizard (I don't recall which) on importing a MIDI file that had the chords as well as the melody, in which case it's ALSO not relevant, haha. In fact, now that I think of it, I did use the style wizard and then the soloist (there are a lot of settings in the soloist that can get you some absolutely insane results if you have the patience to tweak them)

But on a (potentially) more helpful note, I've done a lot of experimenting in trying to get BiaB to generate excellent accompaniments that "hug" the melody as closely as possible, and I found the MIDI style wizard incredible, (and spookily accurate when you use the style wizard and opt to check the option for preferring realtracks over MIDI).

HOWEVER, that said, I got the best results when I transcribed the melody into GuitarPro using major and minor thirds, sixths, and a few fifths thrown in, but in no event more than two strings at a time (i.e. dyads) before exporting the score as a MIDI file, and only then importing to BiaB and generating the accompaniment in the style wizard. The simple addition of these intervals gave the melody more "girth" and flavor, which the wizard style seized on and generated incredible music.

If you want to hear how that plays out in action, check out these two tracks generated from the same single-channel MIDI file using only dyads!

https://soundcloud.com/user-423212678/labor-day-old-friends-passed

https://soundcloud.com/user-423212678/labor-day-pt-ii-1

I should also mention that you need to pay particular attention and care to the timing/pacing/duration of your notes. Simply entering the notes as a whole note for each chord or a quarter note pulse or something entirely static like that will not give you an accompaniment that really "breaths." Even throwing in a pattern of hammered-on or "slid-into" notes can make a great difference!

Also, here's the link to the Hotel California jam in case you're interested in checking it out as well.

https://soundcloud.com/user-423212678/biab-jamming-hotel-california-inspired-solo

Also, I recognize that the jam is not a note-for-note reproduction of the solo, of course, but IMO, it is all the better for that because the different instruments and RTs all bring different flavors and musical styles/perspectives to the table. As it is, it took me hours of tweaking in the soloist settings to get it to this place, but I think the results are well worth the efforts :-)

Edit: Actually, now that I think of it, I may have used the Import Melody From MIDI File or Import Chords From MIDI File feature for Labor Day: Old Friends Passed. (either way, it interpreted the chords from both those songs from a melody fleshed out with 3rds and 6ths). Sorry for all the conflicting information! I used to experiment with so many features and approaches to achieve various sounds and results, by the time I would port everything over to Reaper I no longer had any recollection as to which approach got me there crazy

Experimentation is key, and never forget to have fun while you learn along the way!

DB09

Last edited by DeaconBlues09; 04/16/24 06:55 AM. Reason: Clarification re processes

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB