Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Starting point for this song. Thanks for listening and any feedback.

We Got It Right

V1:
When I was young I always dreamed that I become someone other than the man I am today and after all these years it’s all so very clear that the road ends with who I am today and I am fine with that because of you

Chorus:
With you I got a friend won’t change direction like the wind you’re a fixture in my life Oh Baby you and me we got it right

V2:
Been chasing rainbows for years and shedding a few tears but now I find myself at home I finally settled down in this quite little town left the noise and the city behind and I never could have managed that without you

Chorus:
With you I got a friend won’t change direction like the wind you’re a fixture in my life Oh Baby you and me we got it right

Solo:

Chorus:

Oh Baby you and me we got it right

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey, welcome to the forum!

That sounds great and is a excellent foray into this forum community.

There are a lot of things that are really "right" about this song, including the structure, the lyrics, the hook, the instrumentation and the spirit behind it.

Congratulations on all of that!

There are a lot of songwriters around here so feel free to tell people how much constructive criticism you want and that kind of thing as you go along, because people can keep it light or go as deep as you want to if you want ideas on phrasing or mixing or anything, since I am assuming that you have serious goals as a songwriter.

But this certainly is a wonderful start and once again welcome to the forum!

🙂

Also I'll give you a tip since you're brand new.

There is almost an exact one-to-one ratio on how many views and comments a person gets and the number of comments that they give on the other people in the community.

Some people are missing the math equation on that.

Just to let you know that if you participate wholeheartedly in this forum you're going to get an incredible amount of helpful and supportive feedback from everyone around you.

User Showcase
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Welcome to the forum! Very pretty song, and nice playing/vocals. Nicely mixed, too. I'd be interested in which instruments were played and which were BiaB, as they all sound perfect to me.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks David. I understand and have been listening to everyone's songs just haven't had the time to comment yet.

User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi DC Ron, I guess I should have added that.

It's a pretty simple song just the drums. Everything else is me and I am obviously no great musician. I joined the forum hoping to pickup knowledge from others.

Very impressed with what you did on ' So Far Away'.

Eastman E10d Acoustic
Telecaster Electric
Cheap - Casio LK-100 keyboard, Bass, Piano, Orchestra
All going through a Yamaha MG10xu mixer.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That's a great song. It sounds very early 70s country to me, which I really like.

Excellent job.

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
gman97040

Welcome to the forum, you've landed in a good place! There are many folks around here who really know how to put a tune together and can offer constructive criticism without being rude which is what any budding songwriter/producer needs!
I echo David's comments completely!
You've got a very nice voice and look forward to hearing your work!
Great job with this introductory piece it sounds great!
Take care, TB

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Good song, good vocals, well produced.
Everything as it should be.
Welcome to the showcase, gman smile

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cool song. Do you know how long it's been since I've heard a song with whistling in it? The last one I can recall is Winds of Change by the Scorpions.

Nice mellow song.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hey Gman, great to have you aboard. I think you'll like it here. Great entry piece for the forum. I think your vocal stands out very well on this, and I think you've got a voice that lends itself well to country music. Nice write with a lot of feeling here. I think a little more instrumentation with some of the availble Biab tracks and maybe some background vocals would polish this up nicely. I'm looking forward to hearing more of your stuff.

Brad

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Gman, welcome to the forums.
Your first song is a killer song!
Great vocal and lyrics.
Outstanding mix.
Are you playing the lead guitar? It sounds great.
You got this one right!

I just posted a selfie and all of the responses were get well soon!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, gman97040.

Welcome to the forum! You've got a nice voice, and play well - I enjoyed listening to the song.

I'll offer some thoughts, but I can't guarantee they've got any value. I certainly can't claim to have any secrets to writing a great song. So take them all with a huge grain of salt. laugh

I'm not sure the drums are the best match for this song - the eighth notes on the snare don't match the other instruments. It seems there are places where the instruments fighting each other rhythmically - for example, in the introduction at 0:17, things get a bit out of sync, and also around 0:24.

I feel like there should be more change in instrumentation between the sections. For example, the constant strumming of the guitar could be drop out at the start of the verse. There should be more change between the instrumentation of the verse and chorus as well.

Here's the first verse:

When I was young
I always dreamed that I'd become
someone other than
the man I am today

and after
all these years
it’s all so very clear
that the road ends
with who I am today

and I am fine with that
because of you

You've got all these... arbitrary pauses... in your song... in order to make it... fit into the music.

This is less than ideal. The music and chords should be constructed so they fit together seamlessly.

Breaking them this way also makes it harder to hear the rhythmic structure, and the rhyme scheme.

You can sometimes get away with this in a verse, because it has a sort of "talking" feel rather than "sung". But it's not a strong choice.

The harmony is static, and the melody fairly flat. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, since that's typical for a lot of verses.

The rhymes - young/become, years/clear - are "false" rhymes, and you've repeated today.

There's a long gap between the verse and the chorus. Since the chorus is the answer to the verses, going right into the chorus without that pause would work better.

Here's the chorus:

(With) you I got a friend
won’t change direction
like the wind
you’re a fixture
in my life
Oh Baby you and me
we got it right

You're doing the same thing you did with the verse - adding gaps so it better fits. And it's more of an issue here, because you need your chorus to be melodically strong and memorable, but adding gaps creates the exact opposite effect. Remove the gaps, and the rhymes and structure appear:

(With) you I got a friend
won’t change direction like the wind
you’re a fixture in my life
Oh Baby you and me we got it right

While "fixture" has the meaning you're looking for, I associate a "fixture" with furniture and bathtubs. Perhaps consider a different word?

Once again, you're using "false" rhymes - friend/wind, life/right.

I've mentioned already that the chorus sounds a lot like the verse. Since I struggle with this myself, I can only unhelpfully suggest "make it sound more like a chorus". wink

I'm not sure the chorus supports the song title of "We Got It Right". The lyric isn't about how the two of them work together, but how the narrator is now grounded because their significant other is a "friend" who "won't change direction" and is "a fixture" in their life. Reading through the lyrics, I can't find any description of what the narrator has done in return, or how they are a team. That may not matter at all.

I've got no idea if any of this is helpful or not. If not... that's cool. smile

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Brad, thanks for listening and your input too. I agree with what you mentioned. Thanks

User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Mario, Yes Sir that is me playing my Tele. I don't claim to be a great lead guitarist but when your recording you get as many takes as you want. Thanks for listening and the welcome.

User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hey, thanks for the deep analysis of my song. Seems like I signed up for the right forum. I appreciate all the suggestions you made. Some of the suggestions I kind of new anyways, but being a novice songwriter I let it slide. What I like about a lot of your advise is it can be true for any song I might right.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and the deep dive into my song I found it very useful.

User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks Mr. Guitarhacker. I like your screen name. Funny your comment about the whistling, Your not the first person to mention "Winds Of Change" by the Scorpions.

Thanks for Listening.

User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks Torrey. I'm getting some useful feedback and I appreciate the welcome.

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Love that Whistle in the intro ... I like the laid back style, and feel, almost talking the lyrics. Production is spot on. Nice Job

Elliott Kayne
elliottkayne@gmail.com
https://www.reverbnation.com/kaynemusic
https://www.facebook.com/ekayne

Health, Wealth, Family, Faith, Friends, and Fun

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Big welcome to the forum, gman. There were no credits, but is that you whistling, too? Excellent radio-ready vocal. I like David Cuny's suggestion of changing the strumming guitar for parts to keep it more dynamic. You have a good write here, and a fine production. Keep 'em coming. Much enjoyed.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome to the Showcase, Gman.
A good entry...

The BIAB tracks works nicely for this.
Your vocals are "comfortable". Nice.

This has a sound and feel of much of the music I grew up with. David Wiffen comes to mind (a Canadian singer-songwriter that few know)

fj

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,785
Posts737,318
Members38,581
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
trumpet man, Harlow Davis, limelitevibe, Nickolas, philou33
38,581 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 171