Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I'm encountering a surprising bug. Bb (on my 3 platforms) stopped working in Asio or Was mode which can still be selected but produce zero audio or even visual output). This is happening on my 3 computers equipped with Steinberg UR12 and Cl1 sound cards, which have been working without a hitch for many years in Asio mode.

I've nevertheless found a strange workaround: If I enable the 'Write a detailed log of bootup times' option and do open the log file each time Bb is opened, everything works normally aferwards, in the usual Asio mode... frown But, if I don't open the log file as requested when opening Bb, my workaround doesn't work.

I'm puzzled sick

Please help me find a viable workaround and forward this bug report to our developer friends.

Bb 2024 / 64bit - RAM 64 Go - Intel i9 13900

Best regards!

Last edited by Melody_Maker; 05/14/24 03:52 PM.

BiaB2024 64bit last build (desktop app), Win11 Pro 23H2, Intel i9 13900 24-core, 64GByte RAM, RME Fireface 800, Steinberg UR12, Cl1, Studio One 6, Samplitude Pro
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
How on earth did you come up with that workaround?

Anyway, I would be surprised if any of your fellow users can solve this one. Have you called PG Music Support?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Melody Maker,

The most usual cause of ASIO/WAS not working is because another program is that hooks up to audio is open (say something Media Player, a DAW such as Reaper, etc.). Often ASIO only works with one program at a time. By the way, MME is fine. That's what I use. The quality of the sound is identical whichever audio driver is used. The only time I use ASIO/WAS is if I am recording directly into BIAB as those two audio driver reduce latency and help the recording input and BIAB synchronise.

--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Matt,
I just thought of this option to generate a log file, thinking it might help me understand what's going on, and by accident I found that by leaving this option permanently checked and opening the freshly generated log file, the problem disappeared for the duration of the session...

BiaB2024 64bit last build (desktop app), Win11 Pro 23H2, Intel i9 13900 24-core, 64GByte RAM, RME Fireface 800, Steinberg UR12, Cl1, Studio One 6, Samplitude Pro
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
@noel96
Thanks for the suggestion, but the problem occurs even when Bb is the only program running. I reinstalled the driver, and even completely reset Bb's preferences, but the problem is somewhere else...

Last edited by Melody_Maker; 05/15/24 02:06 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
Was there an update of some kind prior to this happening? I say that as on occasion a Windows update will mess up my audio drivers. Also every time NVIDIA updates happen on both my Internet and my Music computer I have to reset my audio options in Device Manager to my audio interface.

My goal this weekend is to move just enough each day so that no one pokes me to see if I'm dead or not.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
That’s true. A windows update can change your default audio device. It has also on occasion reactivated sound devices I don’t want, like the speakers in my display monitor. I recall the SONAR chief technology officer telling us to disable (not remove) such devices.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
mmaker.

its guesswork by people trying to help you till you post pics of following...

..win recording n playback settings includeing advanced.
..bb audio driver settings.
..usb interface settings.

best bet is when a pc is working great to do settings screen saves so you have a reference if things go pear shaped.

best.

om 🇨🇦 🇬🇧

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 05/15/24 08:28 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Melody maker,

Sounds like a strange problem. Not one we’ve seen before. We will look into it.
Most likely due to an upgrade of windows, band-in-a-box, audio driver or audio plugin.
Double weird that you can fix it only if you view the log file, which just launches notepad with the text file name. to confirm, if you just dismiss that dialog without displaying the log file the problem is not fixed?

Also, did you update biab at the time the problem appeared?

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Did this start happening after installing an update patch?

If so, you should try rolling back to the previous update. You can find out which build you have by going to Help > About Band-in-a-Box.

If you just installed build 1111, then you should try installing 1109:
download link for build 1109

Blake

PG Music Inc.
Expert
Expert
i lost sound on audacity and halion sonic due to settings on my soundblaster sound card. i know you have a diferent card but have the settings changed on the card or in windows?

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by PeterGannon
Melody maker,

Sounds like a strange problem. Not one we’ve seen before. We will look into it.
Most likely due to an upgrade of windows, band-in-a-box, audio driver or audio plugin.
Double weird that you can fix it only if you view the log file, which just launches notepad with the text file name. to confirm, if you just dismiss that dialog without displaying the log file the problem is not fixed?

Also, did you update biab at the time the problem appeared?

Hi Peter, thank you for your interest in my problem.

Yes, I confirm that if I dismiss the dialog and thus don't open the log file, Bb can only generate audio in MME mode. This is not random behavior, but reproducible every time. Switching to ASIO or WAS is possible and generates no errors, but no audio is produced.

My audio drivers have not been received updates from the manufacturer recently (RME Fireface 800 which is multi-client and Steinberg UR12).

I've also tried to isolate the problem by renaming the directories containing the plugins to prevent them from being loaded.

I've tried downgrading to version 1109, but the same problem occurs. And my workaround does also the 'trick' then.

Best regards

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Bob Calver
i lost sound on audacity and halion sonic due to settings on my soundblaster sound card. i know you have a diferent card but have the settings changed on the card or in windows?

No Bob, they haven't.

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Blake - PG Music
Did this start happening after installing an update patch?

If so, you should try rolling back to the previous update. You can find out which build you have by going to Help > About Band-in-a-Box.

If you just installed build 1111, then you should try installing 1109:
download link for build 1109

Thank you for the suggestion Blake. I tried but got the same result. See my answer to PG above.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I noticed the same kind of behaviour with the plugin. Biab Standalone seems to work normal.
Not sure where exactly it comes from, but the plugin generates .wav files with size but without content in the folder \bb\plugin\saved tracks.
Recently I had updates on my RME UFX windows audio driver, a Samplitude X8 and a Biab update including biab plugin update to version 6.1.8.
I doubt that it has something to do with the RME driver or Samplitude, as the behaviour with Samplitude X7 is the same and it had been working in the past.

BiaB2023 Plus, Win11, AMD 6-core, 32GByte RAM, RME Fireface UFX, Samplitude ProX7, REAPER 6, Studio ne 5, Melodyne Studio, Toontrack SD3, iZotope MP4, NI Komplete 12, Korg Collection, etc.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Roland S
I noticed the same kind of behaviour with the plugin. Biab Standalone seems to work normal.
Not sure where exactly it comes from, but the plugin generates .wav files with size but without content in the folder \bb\plugin\saved tracks.
Recently I had updates on my RME UFX windows audio driver, a Samplitude X8 and a Biab update including biab plugin update to version 6.1.8.
I doubt that it has something to do with the RME driver or Samplitude, as the behaviour with Samplitude X7 is the same and it had been working in the past.

Hi Roland,
Thank you for your feedback. Actually I'm having the problem with the standalone version and my 'BB plugin\saved tracks' is empty.
Anyway, your gear and software being similar to mine that could give a clue to the bug busters:)

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi Melody_Maker,
I created a ticket at PG support. Maybe I also found some solution, that seems to work, at least with my songs sometimes.
I clicked at the syle in the plugin window, selected the same style again in the style picker window, loaded it again and generated the song once more.
After that the sound was back, even under ASIO with a setting of 96/24, which I normally use for my productions.
The latest RME USB-win Driver 1250 was obviously not the problem.
It rather looks as if the BBplugin sometimes fails generating the .wav tracks, for whatever reason. Or maybe something is messed up with the realtrack database in the style picker.
(By the way, I also made a complete rebuild of the style picker database, including 3rd party styles)
Kind Regards
Roland

BiaB2023 Plus, Win11, AMD 6-core, 32GByte RAM, RME Fireface UFX, Samplitude ProX7, REAPER 6, Studio ne 5, Melodyne Studio, Toontrack SD3, iZotope MP4, NI Komplete 12, Korg Collection, etc.
Veteran
Veteran
I am afraid what you are describing is similar to an issue reported over a month ago and which has not yet been resolved. This has been discussed with PGM and the only fix was to go back to the BBW3 which was last years version of the application. Or you could just rebuild the style database every time you generate a new song or regenerate an old one. You can ask them for a copy of the old version and try for yourself.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
>roland: I noticed the same kind of behaviour with the plugin. Biab Standalone seems to work normal.
=====

Roland,
Thanks for your detailed report. That helps as it may be related. The plugin uses a similar engine to render the wav files.

Two questions: 1. are you also having problems with silent playback in the standalone band-in-a-box program. For example, if you run c:\bb\bbw64.exe and press play, do you hear sound?
2. In the plugin, inside the style picker are you able to hear sound when you press play, to audition various styles with your chords? And does doing this somehow fix the silent .wav file issue?

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Melody Maker,
A question. If you have booted up, and not done the “workaround fix”, and so biab is silent when you press play … how about if you render to a wav file. Is the wav file created, and full size, but silent ?

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,906
Posts738,698
Members38,614
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
gdl68, that_bear_there, TwoHandsDown, reidmakesmusic, smokeybirdsept2679
38,614 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 153