PG Music Home
Posted By: BBerndog Open/Import MIDI Inconsistencies - 04/13/24 07:57 PM
I haven't found a solid answer on these forums yet so hopefully someone can help me with this...

My goal is to be able to import/open a MIDI file and have BIAB display all the chords AND put each separate midi track from the file on its own track.
- If I open a MIDI file it will populate all the chords and put the MIDI file into one MIDI track.
- If I import, I can separate out the MIDI tracks but I don't get the chords.
- If I open a MIDI file and have all the chords then import the same MIDI tracks (using the same bar offset for both or playing around with it), it never syncs up correctly. Even then I don't know how to add/remove bars for only a melody/single MIDI track.

This is just the first step in what I need to do and it's been quite frustrating so if anyone can help, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Open/Import MIDI Inconsistencies - 04/13/24 08:36 PM
You're doing it correct to open the midi file that is on one midi track and puts populates the Chord Sheet and then importing the same midi file and that will put each midi track on separate channels.

You only use the imported tracks. So mute or erase the track that has all of the midi file data on the single track once you have the Chord Sheet populated with chords and the midi tracks on separate tracks.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Open/Import MIDI Inconsistencies - 04/13/24 08:40 PM
<< Even then I don't know how to add/remove bars for only a melody/single MIDI track. >>
I'm not sure what you mean but BIAB has the feature to import just the Melody track from a file.

Attached picture Import Melody.jpg
Posted By: BBerndog Re: Open/Import MIDI Inconsistencies - 04/13/24 09:44 PM
Thanks for the quick response; I appreciate it. I'm using the same bar offset/insert settings when opening vs. inserting and the melody lines aren't sync'd up with the complete MIDI track from when it was opened. If that's the case, how can I add/remove a bar to the melody on an individual MIDI track?
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Open/Import MIDI Inconsistencies - 04/13/24 11:17 PM
You should not have to use the Melody line track from the midi you opened to populate the chords. importing the midi file should also import the Melody channel track along with all the other midi channels.

But, if I'm incorrect or misunderstanding what you're attempting, you can copy or move the Melody Channel from the file you opened and where all the midi channels are merged onto that single track. Right click on that track and select Track Actions| Copy\Move Tracks. From the Copy\Move Window, select the Channel that the Melody data is on and copy it to another destination track.

Conversely, to edit the Melody midi data, that can be done using either the Notation View or the Piano Roll View.

Attached picture Copy_Move Tracks.jpg
Attached picture copy_move track window.jpg
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Open/Import MIDI Inconsistencies - 04/14/24 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by BBerndog
The MIDI standard doesn't have an official way to represent chord symbols, though there are a couple of unofficial methods used, e.g. by Yamaha, using one of the embedded text mechanisms.

You may find you have to enter the chord symbols yourself.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Open/Import MIDI Inconsistencies - 04/14/24 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Gordon Scott
The MIDI standard doesn't have an official way to represent chord symbols, though there are a couple of unofficial methods used, e.g. by Yamaha, using one of the embedded text mechanisms.

Thanks Gordon. Your post prompted me to recall the Midi Chord Wizard feature.

Importing a midi file using the Midi Chord Wizard will import the midi channels and place them on separate tracks and also analyze the file and import the analyzed chords and populate the Chord Sheet.

This feature does both and eliminates the need to both open the file for automatic chord analysis and Chord Sheet population and then have to import the the file also to have the Midi channels onto separate tracks.

Attached picture MIDI Chord Wizard.jpg
Attached picture Imported Midi File.jpg
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Open/Import MIDI Inconsistencies - 04/14/24 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Charlie Fogle
Originally Posted by Gordon Scott

Thanks Gordon. Your post prompted me to recall the Midi Chord Wizard feature.

Importing a midi file using the Midi Chord Wizard will import the midi channels and place them on separate tracks and also analyze the file and import the analyzed chords and populate the Chord Sheet.

This feature does both and eliminates the need to both open the file for automatic chord analysis and Chord Sheet population and then have to import the the file also to have the Midi channels onto separate tracks.
Yes, I think it's well worth being aware both of the issues and also the method.

Aother method is to import MusicXML rather than MIDI, but there are also some issues with that and if ones source is MIDI it's of at best modest help.
© PG Music Forums