PG Music Home
Posted By: Keith from Oz Sheet Music on Ipad - 03/16/24 01:57 AM
I have a rather old Ipad that I'd like to put my sheet music onto.
I scan can it from my laptop and then email it to the Ipad. A little clunky and I'm not able to manipulate it easily.
Can anyone suggest a better way? (Please be kind, cos I'm not very tech savvy)
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Sheet Music on Ipad - 03/16/24 02:45 AM
I use the For Score app, and an iRig Bluetooth foot pedal for page turns. The For Score app shows as an option for downloading a PDF right into the app instead of, say, emailing it. In For Score, you can change the order and/or add it to one of your set lists. With my Apple Pencil I make notes all the time.

Although I use the iPad almost exclusively now, with a case that has a magnetic lid that sticks to my music stand, I also keep printed music handy.

And, I could not use an iPad until I bought a 12.9” one. The 10 something was just not big enough.
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: Sheet Music on Ipad - 03/17/24 09:33 PM
Thank you Matt, I'll give it a try.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Sheet Music on Ipad - 03/20/24 02:09 AM
Ironically at tonight’s rehearsal, I had an interesting problem. Two others came with iPads and iRig Bluetooth pedals. I looked up that there can be a confusion which iPad they can connect to. I’ve ordered an Airturn Duo 500, which locks only to one device. I’ll report next week how it goes.
Posted By: NOLAGuy Re: Sheet Music on Ipad - 03/30/24 01:49 AM
As I've gotten older, I have difficulty seing the music in fake books, due to the printed size. With a product like For Score, or other products for an iPad, is it possible to Scan or take a photo of a song in a fake book and expand the size so it can be more easily read from the iPad while playing keyboards?

Since I only need the chords and a melody line, it would not require a full musical "Score" or copy of actual sheet music.

Any advice converting fake book music onto a larger image on an iPad?

I've even thought about a possibility of using a video camera rig to show a fake page onto a 27" monitor, since this need is only for my home hobby need.

I've also been trying the BIAB approach keying in the chords and a melody line, or purchasing the Notes Norton fakebooks, and using the fakebook sheet view, but I don't really need the accompaniment, just want to play it solo, so seems like quite a bit of effort.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Sheet Music on Ipad - 03/30/24 02:20 AM
Closing the loop, the AirTurn Duo worked very well. It has a mode that prevents any other Bluetooth connection.

I have used PDFs from all kinds of sources, including taking a picture on my phone. I use an app called Photos to PDF, but I think there are many such apps. To your question, although I haven't expressly tested this, I'm pretty sure that ForScore just takes whatever it has and sizes it to fit the iPad screen size. I base that on the fact I've never seen it NOT do that.

Can you explain what you call 'converting it into a larger image on the iPad'? Are you by any chance talking about one of those mini fakebooks, four inches in height?
Posted By: NOLAGuy Re: Sheet Music on Ipad - 04/01/24 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Matt Finley
I have used PDFs from all kinds of sources, including taking a picture on my phone. I use an app called Photos to PDF, but I think there are many such apps. To your question, although I haven't expressly tested this, I'm pretty sure that ForScore just takes whatever it has and sizes it to fit the iPad screen size. I base that on the fact I've never seen it NOT do that.

Can you explain what you call 'converting it into a larger image on the iPad'? Are you by any chance talking about one of those mini fakebooks, four inches in height?

Matt... All my fakebooks are the full-size ones about 10"x12". Was figuringing since most fake book pages have two songs per page, I was looking to make the halk-page song show to fill the available screen. The For Score app appears to do that, both from your comment and in looking at the User manual.

So I'm going to go ahead and give it a try. Thanks for the tip!!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Sheet Music on Ipad - 04/01/24 09:14 PM
You're welcome. I didn't understand your question because none of my jazz fakebooks are two songs per page, except a few huge collections like one of every popular Christmas song where the size of the printing is very small. In other words, I would never use one of those on the bandstand; I would first have to photocopy and enlarge it. Perhaps that's what you are describing.
© PG Music Forums