PG Music Home
Posted By: Steve2777 Problems Updating 1999 ver. Master Class - 12/17/23 05:15 PM
I have some Jazz Piano Master Class CD's purchased in 1999, as well as versions for Guitar and Jazz Guitar. They haven't been used for a number of years, and my present Windows 10 version won't even run them. I was happy to find that the PG site has downloadable updates for these programs. I downloaded the first update, for Jazz Piano Vol 1, and followed the instructions, first copying the CD to my hard disk, confirming all files were not read only, and selected the folder. The update displayed an error message for that folder, saying the program was not found. I noticed that the update install seemed to be looking for a particular folder, program files(x86)/Jazz Piano MC 1 (even though it didn't exist, because I had copied the CD to a different folder), so I decided to try again, creating that folder and copying the CD to it and repeating. Again, the update program said the program wasn't found. I tried a second time to do the update in that folder, and this time, it appeared to run, and on completion the program appeared to run, and the "about" box confirmed that it was the c1999-2011 version of the program! However, the lessons will not run. The only thing that appears to work is the text selections on the menu on the lower left: Quick Start, Tutorial and Walkthrough, etc. and the toggle buttons between Notation and Text+graphics. Nothing else works.

Obviously, something did not work as it should in the update process, but I'm at a loss as to where to go from here, and have not tried updating vol. 2 or the guitar classes CD's. I could use some help!
If you look in the folder containing the pmclass.exe, there should be at least 600 other items in that folder (not in subfolders). Do you see that?
Yes, there are 688 files in the Program Files (x86)/Jazz Piano MC 1 folder. There are also two other subfolders in that folder, one with WAV files and one with png files. I've noticed that LOTS of the files in the Piano MC 1 folder are ZIP files, which seems wrong to me: Not sure how the program can access a file that hasn't been unzipped. Could that be the problem? Thanks.
That actually sounds correct. Perhaps you could attach a one or two screenshots here that shows what you're seeing.
© PG Music Forums