PG Music Home
Posted By: Izzy Square Peg - 04/19/24 06:52 AM
Hi Folks.
Square Peg
Posting a song is super scary but if I guess I gotta put up or shut up.
I am still learning my way around HipHop so any constructive criticism or suggestions are welcome.

I scoured the pg miliue for HipHop related tracks and I used these:
HOLDBAK.STY (Hold Back Muted Alt Hip Hop)
SLOHA_F.STY (Urban Pop, Fingerpicked Guitar)
SLOHAR+.STY (Slow Hardness Urban Pop +)
RealDrums [in style:AltHipHop^01-a:muted,no whips, b:heavy snare, ride, whips
RealTracks in style: 2742:Bass, Synth, AltHipHopHeld Ev16 085
RealTracks in style: 2748:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm AltHipHop Ev16 085
RealTracks in style: 2745:Synth, Rhythm AltHipHopPadHeld Ev16 085
2503 Piano Held Chords
2747 Synth
2482 bass bowed held
2155 Piano Electric Clav
Real Drums Alt HipHop
912 Piano SmoothPoppy

Chords Em C G D tempo 95 Lyrics are on Soundcloud.

Thanks for Listening.
Posted By: DC Ron Re: Square Peg - 04/19/24 10:02 AM
Izzy, welcome to the scrum! Not an expert on Hip Hop, but this is a lot of fun to listen to. Love the wailing background vocalist and your vocal FX variations. All sounds very cool and cohesive to me. Well done!
Posted By: Izzy Re: Square Peg - 04/20/24 11:17 AM
Thankyou DC Ron
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Square Peg - 04/20/24 05:15 PM
Hi Izzy,

Well, what an entrance on this forum (except the encounter we had)!
Welcome!
I hope you can find what you're looking for, but you certainly introduced something we don't offen hear here. Or, let me speak for myself, I haven't.
But your song is pleasantly surprise. I can imagine it is a bit scary to introduce your first song on the forum.
But let me tell you, it is a good one! Good vocals, lyrics, beat and especially the start /end with the piano. Very good!

I tried to sing a hiphop song once, but I failed. Not my thing (yet) .
But tell me, the vocals are from? AI, synth, or?

Enjoyed the song,
Hans
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Square Peg - 04/20/24 11:51 PM
Hi Izzy.

This is seriously terrific listening.
You've done an awesome job writing, arranging and producing this.
Kudos to you smile
I loved the lyrics and the unfolding story, and all framed by a very creative backing.
It's two thumbs up from me!

--Noel
Posted By: Izzy Re: Square Peg - 04/21/24 02:42 AM
Hello Hans
Thank you for taking the time to listen and comment.
I am so happy that you did (positive or negative)

Warning : Lengthy rant.
I am sorry that we got off to a bumpy start and I appologise if I offended you in any way. I am very opiniated which often gets me into trouble. (Or maybe the topic of your song hit a raw nerve!! :o)

Please know that I rate your "radio ready" musical,vocal and production skills highly, as I do with many on this forum. Your Lyrics are all the more impressive if English is not your first language. So your comments and opinions are important to me.

Though HipHop has been around since the early 70's, I have ignored it due to the aggro/gangsta general nature of it's lyrics. This is my first attempt but it is fun to play around with and would encourage all to give it a try. It's basically Kick/Snare/Hats to some rhyming poetry and you are done. Less is more. Fun. All vocals are my own.

Nogmaals bedankt Hans (I looked it up on Google translate)
Posted By: Izzy Re: Square Peg - 04/21/24 02:46 AM
G'day Noel
Coming from you I am truely humbled.
Thankyou.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Square Peg - 04/21/24 07:30 PM
Hi Izzy,

Thanks for your reply, appologies and the Dutch words at the end!
I am amazed those vocals are yours. Do you really have vocals close to male vocals, or did you do someting with the pich of them.
But, they are good!

I know hiphop is around for some time, but if I tell you I was fond of the BeeGees and their harmonies, you wont spend a word to me, I fear.
I am curious what raw nerve I'd hit, but this forum won't be the place to discuss that. To tell you the truth; that topic is troubling me too, but probably for another reason...

Back to your song again: you wrote it was basically just the percussion at 140 bpm or more, do a little singing and there is the song. But I don't see it that way; you have to make a logical composition based on a melody. Of course it can look easy, but I'm sure you've spend some time on this.
I can give another quote in French or so, but I end this post with saying/hoping you will make more good songs and we can continue a better conversation.
Oh, and I fear I keep making lyric based videos for a while. This was my 4th ever. And two were only with pictures. So, I have to keep learnig making them ;-)

Hans
Posted By: MarioD Re: Square Peg - 04/21/24 08:22 PM
Izzy, I am not an expert on this genre but I really liked this song.
Super vocal and lyrics!
Loved the dynamics!
I would consider this a winner.
Great work.
Posted By: Izzy Re: Square Peg - 04/22/24 02:03 AM
Thank you Mario.
I notice that you are willing (brave enough) to go outside your comfort zone and try different genres. Good for you!!! Keeps things fresh and interesting.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Square Peg - 04/22/24 11:05 PM
This is quite the production with some complicated rhythm parts. I like the changes, which work so well and keep the piece moving and interesting.
My favorite part is the sung part:
"Independant - Isolated
Between the devil and the deep blue sea
Solitary - Everlasting
Tears I cried that you never see"
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Square Peg - 04/23/24 01:22 PM
Great attitude here, Izzy. I am no help for Hip-Hop. Usually I don't like it, but this is so much different. The background production is so good, so interesting, so helpful to the song. The vocals are perfect and also very engaging. Keep 'em coming, Izzy, and I will surly be converted to this style. Much enjoyed.
Posted By: Izzy Re: Square Peg - 04/24/24 10:52 AM
Thank you Marty and Scott for taking the time to listen and your comments which I very much appreiciate !
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Square Peg - 04/24/24 01:25 PM
Some interesting things going on here.

Keep experimenting. Seems like you are having fun.
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Square Peg - 04/24/24 02:19 PM
Welcome Izzy.
I think it's a cool hip-hop song with some really interesting elements.
Lots of good lyrics (I would probably make 3 songs from these lyrics alone) and even if you don't have a typical hip-hop voice, it sounds authentic.

A pretty good start to the forum, I think smile[Linked Image]
Posted By: Izzy Re: Square Peg - 04/27/24 05:04 AM
B.D. Thomas , Thank you for your kind words..... appreiciated

David. Thanks for taking the time. Yes, Fun is what it's all about and I do enjoy listening to your experimenting which are always entertaining and FUN.
Posted By: firesong Re: Square Peg - 04/27/24 05:16 PM
Izzy...that was cool and great fun to listen to...I (if you've sampled my stuff) am so far away from this genre for sure...BUT...I know what I like and this was attention grabbing...super fun to listen to with all of the elements you used here...just great!
© PG Music Forums