PG Music Home
Posted By: SoriceConsulting Bar Settings (F5) Confusion - 03/27/23 07:46 AM
New/learning BiaB user. One thing about Bar Settings is, at least to me, confusing/non-intuitive.

If I make a change to a bar, I'd expect that change to show in subsequent bars as well, but it does not.

Example:
In bar 5 I mute the guitar.
In bar 6, if I open the bar settings (F5), I'd expect the guitar to show "Mute" (although maybe "Muted" would be more accurate?).

I realize the dialog says "Instrument Changes at This Bar", so, technically, the guitar has not "changed" at bar 6. But it is in a different state than the dialog visually presents (at least to me).

I could see it really become confusing if there were many changes in bar 5 (guitar muted, vocals come in, piano fades, etc.) - and bar 6 settings showed nothing?!

I know you can use "Print Summary" to see all changes, but it would be much easier/quicker if I could see the state of each instrument on any particular bar.

Am I missing a setting?
Posted By: SoriceConsulting Re: Bar Settings (F5) Confusion - 03/27/23 11:45 AM
Originally Posted By: MoultiPass
Use "ALL CHORUSES" :

All Choruses setting is on but does not help. If I set guitar to muted in bar 1 (left image), it would be more intuitive to see that as well in bar 2 (right image).

Attached picture Bar Settings.png
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Bar Settings (F5) Confusion - 03/27/23 02:15 PM
Originally Posted By: SoriceConsulting
In bar 5 I mute the guitar...

...until you explicitly say "Back to normal" somewhere else.

If it would show up for every bar it would be very tedious to unmute the muted section.
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Bar Settings (F5) Confusion - 03/27/23 02:50 PM
The OP makes a great point. Any bar I have selected should indicate status of all tracks even if that status was not changed on the current bar. This should not be difficult to implement and does not negatively impact any functionality; it just provides more info!

I would go one step further and, in addition to status, show what bar that status was set on.
Posted By: SoriceConsulting Re: Bar Settings (F5) Confusion - 03/27/23 03:51 PM
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
Originally Posted By: SoriceConsulting
In bar 5 I mute the guitar...

...until you explicitly say "Back to normal" somewhere else.

If it would show up for every bar it would be very tedious to unmute the muted section.

In subsequent bars (after the change was made) you'd only be seeing the "status" of the instrument (which is why I said it should probably say "muted" instead of "mute"). As I envision it, you could change the instrument state on any subsequent bar and then that state would be in effect going forward.

Example:
Change guitar to "mute" in bar 2. Bars 3 onward would show guitar as "muted".
Change guitar in bar 4 to any other state and that state would be in effect going forward and show up in subsequent bars.

And JohnJohnJohn's suggestion of showing at what bar the change took place would be good if you wanted to go back to that bar to make a change.
© PG Music Forums