PG Music Home
When I record an audio track onto my band in a box song - (for example me singing) - it plays back my recorded audio with a delay in comparison to the BiaB backing.

After some investigation, I can see from the waveform of the voice recording, that the actual recorded audio is in sync - it's just the playback.

I have tried to muck with MME/ASIO settings - but have had no luck. Seems to be clearly a playback setting and/or driver related issue... but I'm out of ideas..

Can anyone give me some ideas?
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Recorded audio delay upon playback - 08/28/23 11:09 AM
try WAS as the audio driver - less fussy than asio drivers but latency free (they say) and should solve the problem
Posted By: Byron Dickens Re: Recorded audio delay upon playback - 08/28/23 04:39 PM
There is no such thing as latency free. Can't happen. Physics doesn't allow it.

What is WAS, Bob? Do you mean WASAPI?

ASIO gives the lowest latency possible. However, since the OP doesn't give us any information about their system we can only guess what is going on.

We're going to assume Windows since I don't believe these different driver modes apply to Mac.

What processor? How much RAM? What audio interface?
Posted By: MarioD Re: Recorded audio delay upon playback - 08/28/23 05:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Byron Dickens

What processor? How much RAM? What audio interface?

Also what are the audio interface settings? Buffer setting? Sample rate 44.1 kHz x 16? 48 kHz x 16?

The more information you give the better we can help.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Recorded audio delay upon playback - 08/29/23 05:10 AM
let's get back to being helpful Byron. If Strainj1 opens the BIAB OPTIONs menu and chooses Preferences then audio and chooses the WAS driver i think that could cure his problem. easy fix to try.

i found that the WAS driver (which is BIAB dialogue short for WASAPI) was as good for recording and plaback as my ASIO driver when i was recording using my soundblaster sound card. the soundblaster ASIO driver was a bit flakey.

now i use a usb interface so i do use ASIO butr when the interface is not plugged in i use WAS.

so if Strainj1 wants to try a quick fix following my intructions might just solve his problem without worrying about anything more complicated.

if it doesn't he can come back for more advice. however, it also depends on what driver was in use when the recording was made although Strainj1 says the visuals line up - so he might need to try a quick few bars of re-recording using what BIAB calls the WAS driver to see if that cures the problem. copy the file under a new name and rerecord a few bars of the audio track as a test.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Recorded audio delay upon playback - 08/29/23 08:13 AM
Originally Posted By: Byron Dickens
There is no such thing as latency free. Can't happen. Physics doesn't allow it.

Yes, that's technically correct, however, without more detail of what's actually acceptable, it's really just a subjective comment.

A few microseconds of latency would be indistinguishable to a listener. Many milliseconds of latency might be another story.

It would be better to specify an acceptable range limit at which case latency might become a noticeable, concerning issue. That would probably be a more objective approach.
Posted By: Strainj1 Re: Recorded audio delay upon playback - 08/30/23 11:14 PM
Thankyou guys - yes, changing to WAS fixed the issue - all I had to also do was match the frequency and bitrate of the mic and the speakers.

Appreciate the help!
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Recorded audio delay upon playback - 08/31/23 05:26 AM
glad you got it fixed - we are always ready to help so if you have any problems just ask
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Recorded audio delay upon playback - 08/31/23 06:48 AM
Thanks you for marking this as resolved, and indicating how you achieved this.
Posted By: Byron Dickens Re: Recorded audio delay upon playback - 09/01/23 02:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
let's get back to being helpful Byron.

Well Bob, my car won't start. How do I fix it?

Originally Posted By: Bob Calver

i found that the WAS driver (which is BIAB dialogue short for WASAPI) was as good for recording and plaback as my ASIO driver when i was recording using my soundblaster sound card. the soundblaster ASIO driver was a bit flakey.

The SoundBlaster ASIO driver is pure garbage.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Recorded audio delay upon playback - 09/02/23 06:19 AM
Sorry Byron I don't know why your car won't start. What I did know was a possible quick and easy fix for the OP to try. And it worked - so that was helpful.

As for your car, before you call the breakdown service and the dealer plugs in his diagnostic computer at great expense have you checked the fuel gauge?
© PG Music Forums