PG Music Home
Hi folks--

Though I've had BiaB 2016 since it was released, I'm effectively a brand new user, rarely using the app and having just upgraded to 2024 after my wife got me an Allen & Heath QU-24 for Christmas. Seriously. (And I do consider myself lucky). I apologize in advance for the potentially misplaced question, but the PG folks weren't much help in guiding me to the right sub-forum.

So, can I make the following list of goodies play well together in a home studio?:

Band in a Box 2024 on Windows
Allen & Heath QU-24 digital mixer
Akai MPK-49 Midi controller
DAW, as yet not specified. Reaper because of inbuilt integration, Ableton, or any of the others because of A&H's interface with nearly any DAW?

I play trombone in and run sound for a band here in my hometown, so the mixer's not <entirely> overkill. Mostly this will be for backing tracks (which BiaB will do on its own fairly well) for practicing bass, guitar, and horns with.
From what I found out about the mixer it appears to have a built in interface that is compatible with the major DAWs on the market.

My only question would be about using the midi controller and Band in a box.

However, since the mixer connects to the computer which is running a DAW...m you can connect Band in a box to the computer as well. Use BB to build the song, move your tracks to the DAW and then use the mixer to add your live tracks.

For a one man track layering studio, the mixer is a bit of overkill. You said you run sound for a band so save the presets for the live gig and use the mixer as needed in the studio. If you ever do live band studio recording it will be worth it's weigh in gold.

I don't know if you can bypass the mixer interface or if it will work flawlessly in this situation but since it has an interface, try it.

Very nice mixer BTW. Who doesn't want an A&H on their desk?
Posted By: rharv Re: Can all this equipment play well together? - 01/17/24 11:45 PM
Once you settle on a DAW, you may want to simply try using the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin in your DAW(s) .. that may simplify things to start.
Either way you go BiaB has a learning curve, but is worth it.
Geez, all I got for Christmas was a bathrobe!

No reason those things can't work together. The PC (aka "hardware DAW") and audio interface (aka "sound card") are important considerations since they will be in the middle of integration.
The Allen & Heath QU-24 digital mixer is a serious piece of digital audio equipment, several levels above your keyboard.

You can certainly make good music with this equipment.

The one caution I will add is that the digital mixer does not control BIAB. It will not function as a transport control nor give you automated faders for each of the 24 channels within BIAB. These functions will work with your DAW, so you will want to create the BIAB backing tracks and move them to your DAW.
Hey folks, thank you all for the replies! I made the original post then hit the road for a five-day work trip that had me clobbered with little opportunity to reply, and just got back, so I apologize for not acknowledging before.

Herb, thanks for speaking up first, and I suspect you're right: I doubt all three will integrate, though the Akai can work with the DAW (that's how I started with Ableton years ago, since they were bundled), and the A&H will work with just about any DAW, as will Band in a Box. And I agree, the mixer is overkill, the product of my wife paying attention one afternoon back in the fall when I mentioned it'd be great to have one (not being serious about it at all). Hence was born the Christmas gift flagship, God bless her.

I'm hoping that through some Transitive Property of Audio Mixology (I know that's off-label, but it kind of fits...) that changes in one, transport or level, for instance, will be reflected in all. But I suspect the core will be DAW and Mixer, with Band in a Box and the AKAI midi controller in orbit around that pair separately. That's where my experience level doesn't allow me to make any useful prediction. (By the way, you and I are close to each other, man!).

And Matt, you're right, the MPK is a toy next to the mixer, but I still think I can use it to make keyboard-track entries to the DAW, plus the pads can work for some percussion input as well.

Thanks again for the input, all of you. If you think of any cool way to integrate them before I figure it out (it'll be a while), please let me know.

Mike
© PG Music Forums