PG Music Home
Posted By: Blues1952 Mac Upgrades - 12/12/23 02:41 PM
I understand that the Mac Version always comes 6 months after the Windows version. At this point, porting Windows code to MacOS is a lot easier.
Is the delay really necessary? Or is it a marketing choice.
Every other Audio application that supports MacOS that I’m aware of releases both versions simultaneously. In fact, PG Music is the only Music application that I’m aware of that charges separately for Mac and Windows.
I’m an obsessive consumer and can’t wait so I buy the Windows (and run it in Parallels) then buy it again in June for Mac. I really wish I didn’t have to. It’s really expensive
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: Mac Upgrades - 12/13/23 03:57 AM
Originally Posted by Blues1952
I understand that the Mac Version always comes 6 months after the Windows version. At this point, porting Windows code to MacOS is a lot easier.
Is the delay really necessary? Or is it a marketing choice.
E
I’m an obsessive consumer and can’t wait so I buy the Windows (and run it in Parallels) then buy it again in June for Mac. I really wish I didn’t have to. It’s really expensive
Your understanding is not correct.

Some years it is 2–3 months. One year, it was nearly 10 months. We never know how long it will take, same as we never know what new Windows features will make it to the Mac.

Every other Audio application that supports MacOS that I’m aware of releases both versions simultaneously. In fact, PG Music is the only Music application that I’m aware of that charges separately for Mac and Windows.

That, like most generalizations, is not correct either.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Mac Upgrades - 12/13/23 02:45 PM
Many still don't support Mac for various reasons. Cakewalk tried and gave up. Some do. I have both Mac and Win versions of biab. We have suggested that Simultaneous release would help PGM with annual release cycles but evidently it is not feasible yet due to constant changes in the Mac OS
Posted By: musocity Re: Mac Upgrades - 12/14/23 02:37 AM
I tried it in a wine bottle some time back, the only issue I could remember was it needed Windows Media Player to play and decompress the wma files. it worked with the wav but then it would not play all the demo styles realtracks/drums wma demos.
This is why it needs a common audio file format for Win/Mac. Win should change to be m4a as well as wma compatible, also aif as Mac is compatible with wav.
Under Wine you should not have to worry about waiting for the latest fix to get the latest Mac version working, it should run all versions and 32bit also.
© PG Music Forums