PG Music Home
Just got a Presonus 1824c with 8 mic inputs. I want to record the band live. How do i assign the mic inputs to the channels? It looks like RB will only accept two mics at a time?
I don't use RB but can't you assign each mic to a different track like you can in every other DAW?
T
he help sez i can but i don't know how.
In RB, go to Options - Preferences -Audio Tab and click the Drivers button.
This should reveal all the available inputs for the selected device.
Highlight the ones you want to record.

Save/close out of Options
Select a Track in RB, make it a MONO Audio track.
Record .. RB will record all inputs and put each one on the next available blank track ..
If 8 inputs are selected you should end up with 8 MONO audio tracks with each input on its own track
You can select more than one pair of mics at a time, and then it would record on a group of tracks. The group of tracks could either be Stereo or Mono. If you want the tracks to be mono, then set the input channel for mono tracks in the Audio Preferences to L+R, and make sure the current track is set to Mono. Here's an example (attached image) of recording on 4 mono tracks (although I recorded silence). You could record on two stereo tracks instead of the 4 mono tracks on this example. (the interface I'm using right now has half the ports as yours)

If you have an interface that has 8 ports total, you could select 4 pairs in the audio drivers dialog, and could record on a group of either 4 stereo tracks or 8 mono tracks.

Attached picture multitrack_recording.png
i've been using biab and realband since 2012 so i'm not entirely noobile. My girlfriend got me 2022 and a new laptop and the presonus device for christmas last year (i think she likes me) and we've been getting good use out of them in the usual ways. Now i have a hankering to record the band live and i don't see anything in Audio Preferences where i can tell RB to rout 8 mics simultaneously. The Presonus interface came with their recording software and i've fooled around with that some, but i always used RealBand as my DAW and don't care to do the learning curve trip for Presonus Studio One.
Thanks guys - i think you got me where i need to be with the above posts.
When recording onto multiple mono tracks, it's important to set the input channel for Mono tracks to L+R. That's in the Audio Preferences.
Nawp - aint woikin. In the audio preferences window to select inputs it will only select two inputs at a time. I can select inputs 1-2 or 3-4 or 5-6 etc. What step am i missing to select 1 thru 8 ?

(starting to pull some hair out)
Hold down the CTRL key while you select them; this allows selecting more than one set (like most Windows apps)
If you just click they change, but if you hold CTRL while you click they get added
and yes, sounds like she likes you smile
AHA! Had the audio driver type set to windows rather than ASIO. I should be fishslapped. When in doubt just do abuncha random clicking and remember what you did when it worked. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and time to reply.
I will certainly be back the next time i get stuck - i spent some time today looking over the forum and see that there's some good ppl who like to help and share expertise. Tugging on sleeves is the way to get smarter. There's some good sleeves here to tug,
Originally Posted by readybeans
AHA! Had the audio driver type set to windows rather than ASIO. I should be fishslapped. ...
It's always seems so easy once you know the answer <grin>
© PG Music Forums