PG Music Home
Posted By: shlind The title search function - 10/21/23 11:17 AM
I have long ago stopped trying to use the “title search” in the style picker of BIAB. (and also stopped requesting new titles).

I find it completely pointless.

It only wastes masses of time for the user and one is left with a bitter taste.

Regarding the “Title Search”, as far as I can tell the style picker only populates the 4 sorting filters (category, time signature, feel and tempo).
Consequently, if I listen to the song myself, and try to note down these parameters myself, and then enter these into the filter parameters of the style picker, I will then end up with exactly the same list of styles as I would if I had selected the “Title” from the “title search”.

The lists for the two cases will be exactly the same (probably several hundreds of styles and in no particular order).

But the difference in “User Experience” from the two cases are major:

1. If I do a search putting in the filter parameters myself it is ok.
- The result is that I get a list that matches the search parameters that I have entered which is ok. But I only wished there were some effective options to narrow down the search further to match what I am looking for.

2. If I do a search through the “Title search” (resulting in the same search parameters), I will risk being very disappointed.
- The result is exactly the same as list 1) as above. BUT my expectations are completely different. I will very likely expect a list of best matching styles with the best ranking styles on top, and were “Best Match” means the styles that best resembles the feel and character of the song at hand, i.e. when I listen to the styles on top of the list I can hear that they have many of characteristics and feel of the song at hand.
But this is not the case here!
The resulting list of styles has nothing at all in common with the song at hand other than those 4 sorting filter parameters and so have thousands of other songs that may sound completely different.

This is very easy to test.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: The title search function - 10/21/23 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by shlind
I have long ago stopped trying to use the “title search” in the style picker of BIAB. (and also stopped requesting new titles).

I find it completely pointless.

It only wastes masses of time for the user and one is left with a bitter taste.
FWIW, I can relate.

Here is my wish to remedy this drawback.
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=101811&Number=769911#Post769911
© PG Music Forums